Lynn Fleming slipped in a small underwater depression when she was taking a stroll with her family in in the west coast of Florida, US.
A few days after the incident, Fleming visited a doctor who gave her a tetanus shot and prescribed antibiotics, according to Fox10.
But the next day she was discovered unconscious in her home, with doctors saying she'd contracted flesh-eating bacteria.
She was diagnosed with the flesh-eating disease and died Thursday after suffering two strokes and organ failure, nearly two weeks after her injury.
Lynn Fleming was walking on the beach with Wade and his wife, Traci on June 14 when she cut her leg, according to NBC News.
Doctors at the hospital found her to be infected by the flesh-eating bacteria.
"It was just a small cut, didn't think much of it".
His wife said her mother-in-law died after walking on "the place she loved".
"She fell into it, came out with a little three-quarter-inch cut; a bump on her leg", her son Wade, who was with her, told Fox13.
"Unfortunately, it's the place that took her life by freak accident".
"It was the best vacation and the worst vacation we ever had", Fleming said.
"She couldn't wait to get down here and retire", she said. "That's the last time I had a conversation with her", he said.
"You would never know that anything was wrong", Fleming said.
Flesh-eating bacteria stop blood circulation and cause tissue to die and skin to decay, according to the CDC.
A 12-year-old girl from IN visiting Florida IN June with her family also contracted the flesh-eating disease, but she survived.
That said, cases of Necrotizing Fasciitis are extremely rare.
Five confirmed cases of infection with Vibrio vulnificus have been reported in Manatee County in 2016-18, none of them fatal, according to the Florida Department of Health. Although more than one type of bacteria can eat the flesh in this way, public health experts believe that group A Streptococcus bacteria are the most common cause of these infections.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Vibriosis bacteria reside in specific coastal waters and are present in high concentrations between May and October when water temperatures are warmer. The infection spreads very quickly-sometimes within hours-and it's important to receive treatment immediately and be aware of the symptoms.