According to a new study published today by the University of California San Francisco, the Apple Watch may be able to accurately detect hypertension and sleep apnea. Cardiogram was able to detect sleep apnea in 1,016 of the participants and hypertension in 2,230 of the testers, according to TechCrunch. Specialists shared the new study on November 14 during the meeting at the American Heart Association, in Anaheim. Cardiogram's app called "DeepHeart" is connected to a neural network that can spot high blood pressure in 82% of cases and sleep apnea in 90% of cases.
The app-maker's studies still have to undergo peer-reviewed clinical research, and that includes its previous experiment, wherein it trained its AI to detect the signs of a stroke.
Sleep apnea affects an estimated 22 million adults in the US, with another 80 percent of cases of moderate and severe obstructive sleep apnea undiagnosed, according to the American Sleep Apnea Association. The training used 70% of those participants with the remaining 30% of participants not used for training.
"The idea here is that by screening continuously you would identify people with hypertension who might not know they have it", said Hsieh. In this way, users will know that they need special treatment and testing.
Cardiogram is confident that the Apple Watch and other similar gadgets could soon prove to be a cost-effective diagnosis tool for the two conditions affecting more and more people in the Western world.
Cardiogram previously used the same neural network and Apple Watch data to determine that the Apple Watch is able to detect abnormal heart rate rhythms with 97 percent accuracy. The Cardiogram study relies on the DeepHeart platform.
Cardiogram has been looking into the potential of heart rate sensors on wearable devices for a while now, and thus far the results of its studies have come off as a way to measure how good a certain device's sensor or software is, like the Apple Watch atrial fibrillation detection. This time around, the study focusses on sleep apnea and hypertension... This smart feature is what should convince numerous other people to purchase an Apple smartwatch.