A senior North Korean official reportedly repeated the country's threat to conduct the "strongest hydrogen bomb test over the Pacific Ocean".
North Korea is shunning talks with the United States after President Donald Trump's attacks on its leader, imperiling diplomatic efforts, multiple US government and congressional officials told NBC News.
The statement clarified the remark made by North Korean Minister of Foreign Affairs Ri Yong Ho, who said last month that the DPRK may consider conducting "the most powerful detonation" of a hydrogen bomb over the Pacific Ocean amid the unprecedented escalation of tensions with the United States.
Central Intelligence Agency chief Mike Pompeo said last week that North Korea could be only months away from gaining the ability to hit the United States with nuclear weapons.
All of North Korea's previous nuclear tests have been conducted underground.
Ri also pushed back on the US strategy of attempting to pressure the rogue regime into diplomacy.
In defiance of U.N. Security Council resolutions, North Korea on September 3 conducted its sixth and largest nuclear test, saying it was a hydrogen bomb that can be mounted on an intercontinental ballistic missile.
"If North Korea has a ballistic missile on a launchpad that we think is armed with a nuclear warhead", then the United States could seek to eliminate that one single missile, Glaser said. He also said Washington is deeply mistaken if it thinks talking about a military option- and even practicing such moves along with a series sanctions - will lead to a diplomatic resolution.
The act invited rigorous sanctions from the United Nations against the country.