It's not exactly clear when the "Hot Water Challenge" began, but on Instagram, the hashtag #hotwaterchallenge currently has 703 posts, with many of those posts now warning others about the serious, life-threatening burns that could result from having boiling hot water come into contact with the skin or internal organs. One video from 2014 shows a young man placing his hand in a pot of boiling water and has almost three million views.
Parents, be warned: There's a new trend young kids are trying, and to be blunt, it's not safe.
One 12-year-old girl has even been arrested after severely injuring a friend by playing the game.
Similar to the cinnamon challenge that found folks ingesting unsafe amounts of cinnamon that could cause choking deaths, the "Hot Water Challenge" might sound like a harmless prank to some people, but is anything but harmless. In July, a 10-year-old Wesley Smith of North Carolina suffered severe burns after he and his step-brother attempted the challenge.
The mother of 11-year-old Jamoneisha Merritt says Jamoneisha had hot water poured on her after she fell asleep at a party at a friend's house on Findlay Avenue in the Bronx on Monday.
The 11-year-old remains in hospital after suffering severe burns in the incident in NY. The 12-year-old girl who poured the water on Merritt has been charged with felony assault, according to the police.
She was treated in a hospital in Florida after the incident, undergoing a tracheotomy, an incision in her windpipe, but suffered ongoing respiratory problems and passed away shortly afterwards.
"Watch what your kids are doing on the Internet", Smith's step-father Jimmy Daugherty, told a CBS affiliate in an interview.
Williams gave Ki'ara some cold water and the two went to bed that night, but a few hours later, Ki'ari woke up crying, saying, "It burns, it burns". "Watch what they are doing".
A number of clips show the risky act being carried out before ending with victims writhing and screaming in pain. "I had no intention of influencing anyone or condoning this 'hot water challenge'". The boiling water caused extreme burns.
"When tap water reaches 60C - water boils at 100C - it can cause a third degree (full thickness) burn in just five seconds". It's unlikely high schools in America will need to ban hot water anytime soon.