On Feb. 16, Trump stated during a press conference that he would sign a new executive order after a federal judge had placed a nationwide restraining order on his temporary halt on USA admittance of refugees and travelers from several Muslim-majority countries.
Speaking to reporters at the White House on Thursday, Trump said the new order will be tailored to the court decision blocking the first order.
"Today's court filing by the federal government recognises the obvious - the president's current executive order violates the Constitution", Ferguson said, in a statement. And it suspended all refugee admissions for 120 days.
Lawyers for both sides argued their positions Monday before U.S. District Judge James Robart, who previously issued a restraining order that halted the ban until it can be more fully examined. That didn't satisfy the San Francisco-based appeals court.
He refused to provide details, but said a "new executive order is being tailored to the decision that we got down from the court".
Legal experts said a new order focusing only on residents of the seven countries who had never entered the USA would still face legal hurdles over possible religious discrimination. The three-judge panel of the Ninth Circuit upheld that decision. But its silence on the matter suggested that the Trump administration will not pursue an immediate appeal.
But lawyers for Washington state and Minnesota, which sued the Trump administration over the ban, said the reasons the Trump administration said the ban is necessary compel it to move ahead.
Honolulu restaurants nominated for James Beard Awards
The category calls for "chefs who have set new or consistent standards of excellence in their respective regions". Also, one Milwaukee restaurant is one of the semifinalists for the Outstanding Restaurateurs award.
Why was the executive order brought in?
Under fire for halting his sweeping temporary halt on immigrants from seven Muslim-majority countries, Trump had vowed to fight against a ruling that he said usurped his presidential authority and put the country at risk.
Legal scholars suggest Trump could add legal protections such as a hearing or a written appeals process for applicants denied refugee status or USA visas to answer claims that the order fails to provide constitutionally-required due process. It could mean that the new executive order will include provisions that weren't included in the original, or that there will be more countries added to the blacklist on the visa ban. President Trump continues to believe that the judges' ruling was "a bad decision". The seven nations subject to a temporary ban (Iran, Iraq, Syria, Libya, Yemen, Somalia and Sudan) are particularly troublesome in this regard.
The order, he wrote, "is emphatically not a 'Muslim ban'".
Major Washington state institutions, more than 100 major corporations, several other states and a bipartisan group of former national security officials supported the Attorney General's lawsuit through court filings in the case.
The judges panel says that, the immigration travel ban which was earlier introduced by Trump's administration is targeting the Muslim countries and Muslims only.