CBS affiliate WKRG-TV reported the Brown family went to a beach in Destin earlier this month when Kylei fell drastically ill.
Kylei has started walking again with the aid of physical therapy, and hopes to return to the softball pitch once she has healed.
Brown said that her daughter was in the doctor's office at home in IN with a concerning amount of pain by Thursday at 11 a.m., and by that afternoon, she was at Riley Hospital for Children with a fever, swelling and a red line running down her calf.
"When they told me we needed to go home and pack bags and get to Riley [Hospital for Children, in Indianapolis], my anxiety went from 0 to 110", Michelle told Fox59. "I knew something was wrong".
There, doctors first thought Kylei that had a blood clot.
At first she experienced pain in her leg, but by the time she arrived home to in, her symptoms had worsened to swelling and a fever, Fox 43 reported.
Necrotizing fasciitis, more commonly known as "flesh-eating disease", is a rare but extremely vicious bacterial infection. In some cases, he's seen patients die from it.
It says that burns, cuts, scrapes, insect bites, surgical wounds, and puncture wounds can lead to the infection. As the bacteria multiply, they release toxins that kill tissue and cut off blood flow to the area. It's caused when bacteria enters the bloodstream and body. Between that time, Kylei's condition escalated as she had a fever, swelling and a red line down her calf.
Once she arrived at the ER, her heart rate was sky-high and everything else was erratic. She's still taking antibiotics and has a long road to recovery.
"She had a third surgery, which they didn't find any more infection so they closed it, placing the wound vac to suction anything that may seep out of the incision".
"It was an aggressive infection and had already spread up her leg to her thigh".
After that surgery, they explained the gravity of the situation to Michelle.
In a post on Facebook, Michelle Brown said she believed her daughter may have contracted the disease after scraping her toe at Pompano Beach. "She developed septic shock".
The frantic ordeal went on for a week - in and out of surgery, hooked up to an IV and machines, and dealt Hail Mary antibiotics. I am just so thankful for the many prayers, the quick response and efforts of her medical teams and the aggressive treatment she has received.
'Because of that, I still have my baby girl with me today.
"If this had gone unrecognized overnight or for another day or two, there's probably a high chance we would not be able to save her extremities or another negative outcome would have happened", Dr. Abulebda said.
Kylei's mom, Michelle Brown, called the doctor to schedule an appointment but was urged to go to the hospital right away.