With the strike called off, Washington secretly launched cyber-attacks against Iranian missile control systems and a spy network in response to the downed drone, according to USA media reports. The Trump administration has vowed to combine a "maximum pressure" campaign of economic sanctions with a buildup of American forces in the region, following the USA withdrawal from the 2015 nuclear deal between Iran and world powers.
The attacks were reportedly conducted following the most recent escalation between the two states after Iranian air defences downed a U.S. drone near the Strait of Hormuz. Iran has decried the US sanctions, which essentially bar Iran from selling its oil internationally, as "economic terrorism".
Military bosses ordered the attack after a USA drone was shot down by Iranian fighters last week.
A top Iranian military commander warned Sunday that any conflict with Iran would have uncontrollable consequences across the region and endanger the lives of USA forces. Maj. Such attacks have been cited by Saudi and United States officials as examples of Iran's "malign behavior" in the Middle East.
Saudi Arabia has been at war with the rebel Houthis in Yemen for more than four years.
The Foreign Ministry called on the worldwide community and the Security Council to condemn the attack and assume their responsibility by forcing the Houthis to implement global resolutions to ensure the end of the coup and restore the Yemen state according to agreed terms of reference and maintain stability, security and peace in the region.
Khanna and other lawmakers want to make sure it stays that way, saying he and Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) will introduce an amendment to make sure any retaliation against Iran comes through Congress first.
"They know precisely how to find us", Pompeo said.
Trump initially said Iran had made a "very big mistake" and that it was "hard to believe" that shooting down the drone last Thursday was not intentional.
On Thursday morning, President Trump called off airstrikes with 10 minutes to spare, after Iran shot down a U.S. drone.
Iran says it is not seeking a nuclear weapon and its programme is for civilian purposes only.
But a hawk in Trump administration, National Security Advisor John Bolton, sought to maintain military pressure on Iran. However, the president said he called off the attack with 10 minutes to spare when he was informed an estimated 150 people would be killed.
A longtime Iran hawk, Bolton emphasized that the US reserved the right to attack at a later point.
The Trump administration is pressing the Saudis to show "tangible progress" toward holding to account those behind the killing and wants them to do so before the one-year anniversary of his death on October 2, a senior administration official said.
Trump called off a planned retaliatory military strike on Friday, saying that the response would not be "proportionate", with Tehran telling Washington that any attack would see its interests across the Middle East go up in flames.
"Iran used those hundreds of billions of dollars to fund empire building, not nation building", he continued, warning that the Islamic Republic is "devouring one state after the other".
Meanwhile, Iranian President Hassan Rohani claimed that the United States' "interventionist military presence" in the Middle East was responsible for the region's problems.