After Khabib jumped out of the cage to attack McGregor's teammate Dillon Danis, the Irishman was set upon by three members of Khabib's crew.
Meanwhile, other members of Nurmagomedov's crew have made their way inside the Octagon and it's at this point that they appear to retaliate by going after "The Notorious", who landed a punch on one assailant, but was sucker-punched from behind by another and then ate several punches against the cage before security staff intervened.
"I believe Conor has been working on his ability to stop the takedown of Khabib".
"First of all, I want to say sorry to Athletic Commission, sorry to Vegas", Nurmagomedov said of the brawl after the UFC 229 fight.
McGregor's US$3m purse was not withheld after commission officials examined video footage and determined his side had done nothing wrong.
"I promised to make him answer for his words and I did".
"Look, what happened towards the end is that Conor gave up, because the choke wasn't even under the chin; it wasn't on the neck".
Conor McGregor of Ireland laughs after the second round in their UFC lightweight championship bout during the UFC 229 event inside T-Mobile Arena on October 6, 2018 in Las Vegas, Nevada. "This is not my best side", he said.
The fight had been highlighted by bad blood between both camps, with McGregor pleading guilty in July as part of a deal with prosecutors to resolve charges over an April melee in which he attacked a bus the Russian was traveling on. He talk about my religion, he talk about my country, he talk about my father.
The post-fight meleé has gained so numerous headlines but the fourth round finish will rankle McGregor for a while yet.
He also held that Khabib's performance "legitimized every criticism anyone has ever had" in regards to McGregor's career.
"The Nevada State Athletic Commission pulled the footage from us and there's an investigation going on".