A New Jersey man died after suffering from complications of a brain-eating parasite he may have contracted after visiting a Texas resort, his family said last week.
Stabile reportedly had days of severe headaches until he eventually couldn't move or speak properly.
Fabrizio Stabile, 29, died September 21, according to his obituary.
He died five days later and tested positive for Naegleria fowleri the day before his death, his family said.
Though it's unclear exactly how the man, 29-year-old Fabrizio Stabile, got the amoeba, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is now investigating BSR Cable Park's Surf Resort in Waco, Texas, the Waco Tribune-Herald reported on September 28.
CDC crews collected water samples, trying to find the source of the contamination. Once the amoeba enters the nose, it travels to the brain where it causes PAM, which is usually fatal. We are in compliance with the CDC guidelines and recommendations concerning Naegleria fowleri'.
Infection typically occurs when people go swimming or diving in warm freshwater places, like lakes and rivers.
The Waco Tribune-Herald reports Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is testing at BSR Cable Park's Surf Resort, which voluntarily closed on Friday.
Infections can happen when contaminated water enters the body through the nose.
The Waco McLennan County Public Health District said that the CDC tested water at BSR and that results from the test would come out later this week.
"Our hearts and prayers are with his family, friends and the New Jersey surf community during this hard time", owner Stuart E. Parsons Jr. told the Waco Tribune. The organizations statistics indicate that since 1962 there have been 143 confirmed cases, of which only four people survived.