On 5 December, 30 people had already died and Motsoaledi announced a listeriosis outbreak.
The Minister said that at the beginning of the outbreak scientists said that it would be hard to find the source but they managed to trace it.
WHO, along with worldwide and local food safety experts agree that no new listeriosis cases have been identified since the first week of June 2018.
According to the South African National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD), there are between 60 and 80 cases of listeriosis in the country for the past five years.
He says about 900 health practitioners have been taken for training to be educated on listeriosis.
At the time the source of the listeriosis outbreak was identified as polony and products from an Enterprise Foods factory in Polokwane‚ Limpopo.
The plant was closed and Enterprise products were immediately pulled from shops nationwide.
On 4 March earlier this year, the Minister convened an urgent press briefing that ended up recalling all ready-to-eat processed meat products produced by Enterprise Foods and Rainbow Foods where listeria was identified. Listeriosis has occurred in South Africa for the last 40 years before the outbreak.
The Food and Allied Workers Union has welcomed a pronouncement from health minister Aaron Motsoaledi that South Africa's deadly listeriosis outbreak is now over and it is safe to consume ready-to-eat processed meat.
"This will further strengthen the system to prevent and detect listeriosis outbreaks, including ongoing legislative reform regarding food safety".
The government announced on December 5 previous year that the country was hit by a listeriosis outbreak that was later traced to two food-processing factories in the country, prompting a recall of 5,812 tonnes of affected food stuffs. This is why health officials have declared the outbreak officially over.