Conor McGregor will finally make his long awaited Octagon return as he takes on newly-crowned lightweight champion and rival Khabib Nurmagomedov (26-0) at UFC 229 on October 6, the UFC announced on Friday.
Nurmagomedov, the Dagestan-born Russian champion, has been one of the pound-for- pound greats of MMA when healthy, racking up 10 consecutive victories since joining the UFC. McGregor won titles in Cage Warriors, transitioned into premier cage-fighting firm UFC, and continued to trounce his opponents.
The incident resulted in two felonies filed against McGregor, who ultimately pleaded guilty to a disorderly conduct count last month that kept him out of jail.
Dustin Poirier, who Diaz is scheduled to fight at UFC 230 on November 3 at Madison Square Garden, jokingly chimed in with a similar tweet, writing, "I ain't fighting on that show either F the ufc".
"Let's wait to see what the exact sum is that the fighters get, it will be officially announced by the UFC", he added. The target of that assault was none other than Nurmagomedov himself. So what sort of food does a former two-weight UFC world-champion fighter eat?
So should Nurmagomedov and McGregor put pen to paper in the next few days, their bout could very well be announced at the event. McGregor didn't immediately react to the bout announcement on social media.
"It's time to roll", Diaz said following his own two-year absence.
After a confrontation between associates of the pair, McGregor gatecrashed a Nurmagomedov press conference in NY in April.
"It's time to go, so it's time to go", Diaz said.
Not everyone is happy about the title fight, Nate Diaz who was at the press conference, walked out when the announcement was made.