However, the damage was not just limited to Manteufel's limbs.
Here's what you need to know.
Greg Manteufel thought he had the flu and went to the hospital last month - only to find out that his body was being ravaged by Capnocytophaga canimorsus, a type of bacteria found in the saliva of dogs and cats. "It took a week, and they were taking his legs", Dawn said.
"We can't wrap our heads around it that all of the sudden, he's 48 years old and been around dogs all of his life and this happens", Dawn Manteufel said.
48-year-old Manteufel began to go into septic shock as the mysterious symptoms continued to worsen.
Dawn Manteufel said doctors told them her husband's case is not common and more like a "crazy fluke", according to WITI.
He was not bitten by the animal, with medics saying it is rare for a person to fall victim to such an infection when they haven't been bitten.
Manteufel experienced severe complications, which caused his blood pressure to drop and the circulation in his legs to decrease rapidly. It was either that, or the bacteria would spread and eventually kill him.
Within days of being admitted to the hospital, Manteufel had to have both of his feet amputated.
He's also scheduled for surgery to remove portions of both hands and will need plastic surgery to rebuild his nose. When that wasn't enough either, doctors had to remove half of both forearms as well. Prosthetic limbs and more treatment at a rehabilitation centre still await him. He never had any serious medical problems before.
After discovering the Manteufels have a pet dog named Ellie, the medical staff told Dawn that her husband likely was infected after being licked. The family set up a GoFundMe page to help pay for future surgeries, therapy and hand and leg prosthetics.
The infection has been devastating for Manteufel and his family.
"It hit him with a vengeance", Dawn Manteufel, his wife, told the station. "He is so thankful to be alive today and is taking one day at a time".
Doctors ran blood tests and discovered he'd become infected with a bacterial pathogen known as capnocytophaga canimorsus, which is found in the saliva of healthy dogs and cats but can lead to infection in humans who are immunocompromised.