Trump moves to block China Mobile's US entry

Share
Trump moves to block China Mobile's US entry

The National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) of the United States said that FCC should deny the entry.

The National Telecommunications and Information Administration, a branch of the Commerce Department, said Monday it had recommended the Federal Communications Commission deny China Mobile's application.

And now China Mobile has become the latest entity to be targetted by the US.

Though hardly as threatening as the U.S. measures against telecom equipment maker ZTE - China Mobile generates virtually all of its revenue at home - the move comes as the US'/99 is set to impose tariffs on $34bn of Chinese goods on Friday, with China vowing to retaliate in kind.

The move to block the firm comes amid growing trade frictions between Washington and Beijing.

However, China's foreign ministry spokesperson responded to a question about the company during a briefing and said that China urged the relevant side in the U.S.to end zero sum games and Cold War thinking.

The FCC didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

With economic tensions between the two superpowers rising, the Trump administration has also moved to punish Chinese telecoms firm ZTE, banning U.S. companies from selling crucial hardware and software components to the company for seven years.

According to the NTIA statement, China Mobile is subject to "exploitation, influence and control" by the Chinese government, and in the "current national security environment" this would pose "substantial and unacceptable national security and law enforcement risks".

Another Chinese firm that has been caught in the crosshairs of the trade spat is ZTE Corp.

The company had 901.9 million mobile subscribers, 671.8 million of which are on its 4G network, as of May 31.

Still, the 205-page, heavily redacted document offered a window into the United States government's assessment of national security risks of doing business with Chinese entities, especially one with ties to the Chinese government as close as China Mobile's and in an industry as critical as telecommunications. Phone calls or other communications from USA government agencies to global destinations could pass through China Mobile's network, even if the agencies are not customers of the operator, according to the filing.

David Redl, assistant secretary for communications and information at the Commerce Department and head of the National Telecommunications Information Agency, signed off on the recommendation against granting China Mobile's license request. The company is owned by the Chinese government.

Share

Advertisement

Related Posts

Jar-Jar Binks Actor Says Media Backlash Made Him Suicidal
The 44-year-old actor is now planning a solo show to coincide with the 20th anniversary of The Phantom Menace . Best has previously said that he'd never reprise the role as he said he'd "done my damage" to the franchise.

Camera-maker Light is bringing nine lenses to a smartphone
Besides having an investor like Foxconn, Light also is familiar with Android since the open source OS drives the L16 camera . Light is now developing the phone and it has also created a prototype with 5 to 9 lens with incredible zoom capabilities.

Video shows police arresting suspect charged with kidnapping actors in LA
In response the LAPD released a statement saying they were aware the video "had raised concerns from the community". The Los Angeles Police Department confirmed that the three suspects had been apprehended earlier this week.

Cavani will have to "destroy science" to face France - Rami
Two-goal striker went down holding his right leg in an off-the-ball incident and was substituted with 16 minutes to go. But we will try our best and look to impose our way of playing on them, using our strengths.

China's HNA Group co-chairman Wang Jian dies after fall in France
Although he is not as well-known as Mr Chen in media, Mr Wang is said to have taken a hands-on approach to running the company. Mr Wang was reported to be among a group of tourists who were visiting Bonnieux, in the Vaucluse area of Provence.

LeBron James won't meet in person with Cavs when free agency starts
Leaving $35 million on the table puts him in flawless position to potentially earn $209 million on a five-year deal with the Cavs. Sources tell ESPN the team has been regularly communicating with James and his representatives since the season ended.

Sony Pictures release entire Khali the Killer film instead of trailer
Khali The Killer was filmed back in 2016, and was supposed to hit the big screen later this year in August. So we can expect a cheery comedy romp in the vein of Happy Gilmore then, obviously.

Where to Watch Independence Day Fireworks in SoCal
Further complicating matters is that many fireworks are sold through poorly regulated pop-up retailers that set up shop in tents. IL remains one of only four states to impose severe restrictions on the purchase and use of consumer fireworks.

Katharine McPhee, 34, engaged to David Foster, 68; Richard Swift dead; more
Katharine , 34, revealed that 68-year-old David popped the question while the pair were on holiday in Italy recently. Foster and McPhee have been dating since September 2017, spotted packing on the PDA in Paris in December 2017.

Serena Williams advances to third round at Wimbledon
The tennis star has previously worn an all-in-one black catsuit at the French Open to also help with her circulation. But she was forced to pull out of the French before her match against Maria Sharapova with a pectoral injury.

© 2015 ExpressNewsline. All Rights reserved.