A mother is warning other parents of tick dangers after her daughter was left paralyzed. She was also struggling to speak, her mother Jessica Griffin noticed.
While combing her daughter Kailin's hair, she noticed a tick on her scalp, Griffin told Mississippi News Now. She then took Kailyn to the Medical Center where the doctors ran a number of blood test and took a CT scan.
"PLEASE for the love of god check your kids for ticks!" she posted.
Griffin followed up with a photo of her daughter walking out of the hospital later that evening.
Fun and laughter aside, Jessica wants her readers to be aware that tick paralysis is both real and risky.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention highlight tick paralysis as a rare disease caused by a toxin in the saliva of ticks, particularly the Rocky Mountain wood tick and the American dog tick, typically found in the Rocky Mountain states and the northeast USA, respectively.
It is advised that the people should immediately seek medical assistance in case of a tick bite causing flu like condition or infection. Scary is [an] UNDERSTATEMENT!
The American Lyme Disease Foundation states that it takes five to seven days for a person to develop tick paralysis symptoms. Showering when you get home can wash away ticks that haven't attached yet and putting your clothes in a hot dryer will help to kill any ticks that may be caught in them. "It's more common in children than it is adults", she wrote last Wednesday. A nurse bathing her after she was admitted to the hospital found a tick along her hairline. It can start as fatigue, numbness and an increasing inability to move.
And last year, Amanda Lewis woke up and found that her 3-year-old daughter, Evelyn, couldn't stand no matter how hard the little girl tried, according to the La Grande Observer.
The best way to avoid tick bites that can cause disease is to avoid walking through or brushing against vegetation and perform daily self-examinations for ticks.
Past year a three-year-old girl was a victim of tick paralysis, only diagnosed after a doctor scoured her hair and found the tick embedded in her skull. Later that evening, Kailin was able to walk out of the hospital. However, symptoms typically improve within 24 hours of removing the tick.