Young people not attracted to cricket says European Central Bank chief

Share
Young people not attracted to cricket says European Central Bank chief

In a decision that has raised eyebrows in the worldwide cricketing community, the European Central Bank are pioneering the new format that will see each innings comprise of 15 regular six-ball overs and one 10-ball over.

As revealed last week by Sportsmail, Surrey offered to host an experimental 100-ball match at The Oval in September; almost three weeks on, the European Central Bank are yet to respond.

Speaking about attracting a new audience he added: "What we do know is the kind of audience that we are not getting".

The ECB chairman went on: "As far as we're concerned - and the ECB board is concerned - the new competition board is in place to virtually launch this tournament".

Graves stressed the new format was a must to ensure cricket's relevance and financial viability, to run alongside the existing Twenty20 Blast as well as 50-over and first-class domestic competitions. 'The younger generation, whether you like it or not, just are not attracted to cricket. In all the work, surveys and research we have done, the younger generation want something different. But Surrey want to hear more about the competition's precise make-up and financial model, following mixed messages from the European Central Bank hierarchy.

When plans were announced last month for the Hundred, reaction to the proposals was mixed.

"It's a challenge but every county chairman -and I mean every county chairman - has told me that they are behind the new tournament".

"We'll build it and we'll work with the players because we want them to be involved". One that does not like cricket.

Share

Advertisement

Related Posts

Britain believes Iran nuclear deal 'has value' despite USA exit, says Johnson
Despite the USA exit, Britain and Iran expressed their commitment on Sunday to ensuring that the accord is upheld, according to a statement released by British Prime Minister Theresa May's office.

Marcus Smart calls JR Smith a 'bully' after questionable play
But the Celtics have to feel pretty good about having Smart on their side in this fight - and any fight for that matter. The NBA prides itself on making sure players aren't making risky plays toward each other, especially in the playoffs.

Hibs striker Maclaren axed from Australia squad
His record speaks for itself, but he has only been a bit player for Millwall since returning to south London in January. But FFA chief executive David Gallop rejected the assertion, telling broadcaster SBS: "Absolutely not".

World Health Organization gets Congo's go-ahead to launch Ebola vaccination experiment
Adeyeye added, "We must remind ourselves that as we speak right now, many health workers in our country are on strike". The DRC government early last week declared a new outbreak of Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) in Bikoro, Equateur Province.

BJP should hold elections with ballot papers, says Uddhav Thackeray
The election in Jayanagar segment was countermanded in the wake of the demise of BJP candidate BN Vijaya Kumar on May 4. Such (convention-based) decisions were not taken in Goa and Manipur (where hung assemblies emerged after polls).

Wagner Takes GOP Nomination for Governor
Sen. "We've been going from 6am in the morning until 1am the next morning for the last couple of months". Tuesday night at Mango's campaign watch party as supporters fell silent and waited for the bad news.

Ramadan 2018: Breaking down misconceptions around the holy month
Adam Soltani, executive director of CAIR Oklahoma, has seen Ramadan through both the Muslim and Christian perspective. The moon-sighting committee is still in meeting and an official announcement is being awaited by them.

Sonam Kapoor walks the Cannes 2018 red carpet in Nude trail gown
Usheeta Rawtani shared this picture of Sonam Kapoor's "mangalsutra" and revealed the details on her Instagram page. At the Red Carpet for the premiere of the film "Solo: A Star Wars Story", Sonam chose a Vera Wang creation.

Meghan Markle's father says now hopes to attend royal wedding
After Markle Sr. faced backlash for the photos, he spoke to TMZ and said he no longer plans to walk Markle down the aisle at St. Samantha confirmed the family didn't do it for money, but didn't deny that her father had been paid.

Russian opposition leader Navalny sentenced to 30 days in jail
A verdict was expected from the Moscow court on Friday (May 18), but the case was adjourned for police witnesses to be called. This will run concurrently with the first sentence and he should not be in jail for any longer than 30 days.

© 2015 ExpressNewsline. All Rights reserved.