Preparing for the NAHQ CPHQ exam requires that you go through the different preparation resources to enable you understand the concepts and scope of the examination contents. It is important to mention that the study program you choose should be based on your personal needs. In most cases, the candidates who already have healthcare quality experience should plan their study time around three weeks to six months for adequate preparation. The preparation materials are designed to provide guidance and support to candidates during their study time. It is therefore important that you take time to go through all the materials and be well equipped to write the exam. The resources available include live training courses, practice tests, online education, and books. Some of these resources are available for free and there are some others that you will have to purchase.
Before you go ahead to choose resources for your examination preparation, it is important to be sure that they meet your exam requirements. This is why it is highly crucial that you go through the exam content outline or exam objectives before you start your study. By doing this, you know what to look out for in resource materials. We have highlighted some criteria you should look for when choosing a resources, especially books.
Important Criteria for Choosing Resource Materials for the CPHQ Exam
· The content of the materials should be in alignment with the latest exam content outline. If possible, it should be arranged in such a way that is similar to the structure of the examination. It should also be detailed and comprehensive.
· The material must be well known among test takers. In other words, many candidates should have used the material for preparing for their exam and they must have proven that it is helpful. This is where review comes in. Before you pick any book or resource material, ensure you read reviews about it from other candidates. Do not rely on opinions from a single site. Check different review sites to see what other individuals are saying about the book. If what they are saying is good, chances are that the book is actually very good.
· The book should provide information that you do not already have. If it is on what you already know, then it should be presented in a more different and elaborate way to enhance your understanding about the topic.
· Whatever book you are selecting must have the great value for the money you are paying for it. It is important to mention that this value is relative and dependent on the individual. What is considered expensive by an applicant might be termed cheap by someone else. However, on an average, a good book that offers comprehensive content outline on the CPHQ exam should be around two hundred dollars.
· The material should offer study questions at the end of the chapters. You need to know your knowledge level about what you have studied and the best way to do this is to practice study questions at the end of the study.
Below are some book resources that you can use to prepare for your CPHQ examination:
Ø The Healthcare Quality Handbook: A Professional Resource & Study Guide
This book has helped a great number of candidates prepare for their CPHQ exam. It contains about 900 pages and the content is well detailed and in line with the exam outline of CPHQ. As a matter of fact, the handbook covers the CPHQ practice exam questions and content outline and it also comes with study questions to help you in your preparation. The content outline of the book is quite extensive and offers the theoretical aspect of the exam in details that you need. It has numerous quotes, notes, definitions, bullet points and lists of important points that you need to know while preparing for your test. There are also references included in the book that you can use for wider reading and study. It is important to point out that this book contains lot of information which means you have to sit down to sieve out what you need. The volume of information is such that it can become too much for some candidates to study. If you fall into the category of candidates who do not have the capability to study lengthy information, you can take advantage of the author’s exam notes which contain the most relevant points of the book.
Ø QS Solutions: Essential Resources for Healthcare Quality Professional
This is another great resource to help in your exam preparation. The book covers the whole CPHQ exam content outline and has been reviewed by two well known and respected healthcare professionals. An interesting aspect of this book is that it comes with a CD-ROM which contains the entire content of the book in a searchable layout. If you prefer reading on your system, this feature is definitely going to be beneficial to you. The QS Solutions: Essential Resources for Healthcare Quality Professional is divided into five different modules. The module one covers the foundation, techniques, and tools while the module two covers strategy and leadership. The module three focuses on Continuous Readiness, and module four covers Change Management and Innovation. The last module focuses on Healthcare Safety Culture. Overtime, different amendments have been incorporated in the book to feature the changes in the exam outline. It is therefore important that you check out the latest edition of resource materials when choosing it.
These two books are great companions in your journey to clearing your CPHQ examination. You can be assured that you can’t go wrong with either of the two books. It is important to mention that these books are not without shortcomings but they offer you all you need to know as far as theoretical information is concerned on the CPHQ exam. You don’t need to buy these guides; having one of them is enough to give you all you need to prepare for your test.