"The country can not be kept in the dark", the Supreme Court said on Monday while directing the Central Bureau of Investigation and the Enforcement Directorate to complete investigation into all 2G Spectrum scam cases, including the Aircel-Maxis deal case, in six months.
The investigation has been going on for a long time and people can not be kept in the dark in a sensitive matter such as this, the bench of Justices Arun Misra and Naveen Sinha noted.
"Why is there so much delay in completing the investigation in the 2G spectrum and ancilliary cases. We are anxious about this case, we are very unhappy".
In its order, the apex court asked the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) as well as the Enforcement Directorate (ED) if there were any "invisible hands" that were stalling the probe.
"It is shocking. All matters should see end of the day. It is a very unfortunate state of affair that investigation in all the cases pointed by the CAG has not been completed so far", said the bench. "This case is becoming like "touch me not", the bench said.
The issue of FIPB clearance in the the Aircel-Maxis deal had surfaced during the probe into the 2G spectrum related cases.
Now, the pending investigation includes one by the CBI into the role of Malaysian accused T. Ananda Krishnan and Ralph Marshall in the Aircel-Maxis deal, and by CBI regarding FIPB approval.
The so-called scam came to light after the Comptroller and Auditor General in its report in 2010 claimed that the Telecom Ministry had caused a loss of Rs 1.76 lakh crore to the national exchequer by allocating 2G spectrum and licences to some companies at throwaway prices.
Earlier, in an official notice dated February 16, the central government appointed Additional Solicitor General Tushar Mehta as the Special Public Prosecutor for cases related to the 2G scam, replacing his predecessor Anand Grover, who was appointed in 2014. In 2012-13 DMK left the UPA government after CBI file a case following allegations against Dayanidhi Maran and other leaders of the party.