A young man walking across a Brooklyn street was rescued Tuesday morning after a small sinkhole opened beneath his foot, swallowing his entire leg.
The incident took place on Myrtle Avenue at Walworth Street at around 11:15 a.m. The hole didn't appear extremely large - maybe the size of a softball - but the man's leg was stuck up to his knee.
'From what I understand he was walking and the ground gave way.
"It nearly looked like he didn't have a leg".
The man was on his way to work at a body shop when, about a block away from his destination, his right leg plunged into a sinkhole opening in the concrete.
Another witness heard the victim say his foot had gone numb while awaiting rescue. Emergency crews had to come extricate him.
Medics took him to Woodhull Hospital with minor trauma to his leg.
"He said he couldn't feel his foot", said construction worker Danny Flores, 26, who lives nearby. Crews were seen repairing the street Tuesday afternoon and Walworth was shut down in the area as they worked.